Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Just what is Pocket Stew?

About a week ago, I mentioned on Facebook that I was making Pocket Stew for dinner.  I got asked by several people (on FB and via phone) just what it was.  So, I'll explain.  When I was a kid, I was in the Girl Scouts.  During a campout, we made these nifty foil dinners that were cooked in the coals of a fire.  I told my mom about them when I got home, and she figured out how to make them in the oven.  When I had kids, I made these for them...actually, I'd let them assemble them-thus even picky eaters would be happy.

Pocket Stew:

Ingredients (approximate):

1 pd lean hamburger (or ground chicken)
1 onion, sliced
3 potatoes, peeled, and sliced thin
3-4 carrots, peeled and sliced thin

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  On two cookie sheets, lay out a length of foil for each family member.  Lightly grease the middle of the foil (cooking spray, or margarine).  Lay some onion on each.  Divide hamburger, and form into patties. Put patty on onion.  Put slices of potato on top of hamburger patty & onion, in center of rectangle.  Sprinkle some carrot on top.  Season with salt & pepper. 

Fold top of foil, lengthwise, two times.  Crimp edges.  Place 2 packages on each cookie sheet.  Bake for 30-40 minutes.  To check for doneness, carefully open one package (watch out for steam). 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog