Tuesday, August 16, 2011

3.14

Today I was working on a exercise from the book, The Artist's Way, by Julia Cameron. In this particular exercise, I was directed to write down five imaginary lives.  If you had five imaginary lives, what would you do? I went into this exercise with an open mind, and jotted down the first thing that came to mind.  And it surprised me. 

For my first imaginary life, I'd be a pie baker for a diner.  Some home style diner on Main Street in Small Town America.  I could actually see the diner in my mind.  A long counter top, with stools filled with regulars.  Several 2 and 4 tops scattered strategically in a small, but open feeling space.  Bright sunlight drifting in through sparkling windows.  A chalkboard above the griddle advertising the day's specials, including the famous blue plate special...served on an actual blue plate!  Behind that counter, serving up coffee and pie, would be an older woman, wearing a starched uniform, and homey looking apron.  Her name is Mabel, and she's worked there all her life.  She knows everyone, and if they order 'the usual', she knows exactly what they mean.

And there I'd be,  back in the kitchen, rolling out dough for pies.  There's an art to making pie dough.  Do it wrong, and you have something inedible and tough enough to resole your shoes with.  Do it right, and you have a flaky, tasty creation, fit to hold the fragrant filling within.  My specialty would be (and is) apple pie.  Made with two kinds of apples, liberally spiced with brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, freshly ground.  There would be strawberry pie in the summer, and pumpkin pie in the fall.  And bubbly blueberry pie, served warm with melty vanilla ice cream.  And in the ice box display case would be banana cream & a tall chocolate dream pie.  Mmm....

When I had a spare moment, I'd slip out and chat with the customers, and slip fresh snickerdoodle cookies to the kids.  It would be hard work, but very satisfying.  

I'm not sure what the point of the imaginary lives exercise is, but can't wait to find out more.....

Thank you for sharing this momentary vision with me.... Mmm..now I want a piece of warm apple pie.  Hey, I do have two kinds of apples in the fridge right now!

No comments: